From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 12:09:14 +0200
Mark Steinberger writes:
 > There may well be many more class files out there than are currently
 > available on CTAN.
 >
 > For instance, nyj.cls, the class for the New York Journal of
 > Mathematics, has never been posted to CTAN (but will be, shortly).
 >
 > I suggest some kind of call for submissions to the contrib/supported
 > section of CTAN's latex section. I suspect there would be a great
 > many of them.

i think that collecting and documenting available (and not yet
available) class files for LaTeX would be a very valid and important
work. but it would need some coordination and one or more volunteers
to write to the various publishers of journals and books and to
produce a short overview document on all the classes included.

 > It might make sense to include these classes as an official part of
 > latex, so the commercial distributions will include them as well.

the problem with that is that it would directly bounce back to the
latex team in form of support questions so i think it can not be part
of core. but if we have such a collection it wouldn't be too difficult
to integrate it nevertheless into all major distributions.

is there anybody willing to work on such a collection? it would sure
help the LaTeX community a lot.