Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 14:30:10 +0100
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Hans Aberg writes:
>  >   So it appears that what is needed is a document hierarchy:
>  >   \documentclass{journal}       % Start of journal class
>  >   \begin{document}
>  >
>  >     \documentclass{article}     % Start of article 1 class
>  >     \begin{document}
>  >       %% Article 1 stuff
>  >     \end{document}              % End of article 1 class
> this has been suggested before now, and there have been attempts at
> implementation by eg Matt Swift (see TUG 1995 proceedings),
> and Robin Fairbairns for TUGboat. perhaps Robin could comment on
> whether/if/why his work foundered?

Matt Swift wrote an includex package that goes a lot of the way
towards this requirement, and I use it regularly for private work.  My
version is somewhat hacked from the latest he's sent me, and IIRC the
version on CTAN (in macros/latex/contrib/other/swift) is different
again; he knows (or knew) about all the changes I made for my
requirements.

Whether this thing meets  the general requirement is another matter:
I use it for editing my father's letters from India 1941-45.

I looked at using it for TUGboat, but it didn't quite meet the
requirement, since regular issues of TUGboat run articles together on
the same page.  It would work OK for proceedings issues, but they're
sooo much easier to produce than the regular issues that it didn't
seem worth while.  I haven't heard from him in ages, but if an
appetite developed for this sort of thing, I could try to obtain
permission from him and post my hacked version.

Matt and I discussed the practicalities at some length a while back,
and I've completely forgotten all the technical details of what he
said.  His ambition was an \include-like system that allows you to
include stuff at arbitrary positions on the page, which is what
TUGboat actually needs.  However, this is (ahem) rather tricky, and
the last version he sent me of his newclude package (which he said was
going to do it) omitted the tricky bits...

Robin