Sender:
From:
James Kilfiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 21:25:52 +0000
On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 11:03:13PM +0100, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> James,
> sorry to disappoint you but I would like to answer both suggestions with no.
> here are the arguments:
>  > > FMI:
>  > > > It kind of feels wrong to me to open up that name space just to
>  > > > be able to support \"A as an instance name --- but convince me
>  > > > otherwise :-)
>  >
>  > No but it should support Ä.
>
> it should not. template names are abstract names of the language and I
> like the language portable and this means 7bit visible ascii plus a
> few extra chars, just like label names. I'm not at all in favour of
> supporting inputenc 8 bit in such places.

At the moment, as I understand it, you can use anything which you could
use in a \csname.  This means that if you are not inputenc, or you are
using T1 font encoding, you can use `Ä', as it either is, or expands to
^^c4.  If portability is desired, and surely it is,  `Ä' should either
always work, or always not.

I would prefer it to work.  By the way, I'm not suggesting that the
standard templates written by the latex3 project should use 8-bit
characters, just that the template mechanism should not rule them out
(of if it does, it rules them out completely)

>  > Many such problems should go away if a font encoding such as T1 or
>  > LY1 is used. Perhaps T1 should be made the norm for latex2e*?
>
> now the NO is the following: NO 2e* will not do that switch. 2e* (and
> this is why it is called 2e*) will be a package based extension of 2e.
> in other words it will run completely on a 2e kernel .

I understand this, what I mean is that ldsetup.sty could select a
fontencoding.  I can see some problems with this, but nothing terrible.
If it is in your mind to change this eventually I think this adds
strength to my case.

> open to discuss those points but note that I will vanish for a few
> days to work on output routines and front matter.

Super! Good luck.
        James