From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:19:34 +0000
William F. Hammond writes:
 > Actually, I am more interested in getting a copy for Info trees than
 > in a TEI copy.  (And there is now an SGML version of Texinfo thanks to
 > Daniele Giacomini that formats to Texinfo.)  I guess I thought that
 > TEI fans might bite.

TEI fans just write TEI, I suspect....

 > Are you saying that it's easier to code translations from XML using
 > lex and yacc descendants rather than using standard XML tools such as
 > sgmlspl, jade, or xt?  I find that hard to believe.  (Of course, the

at a minimum, you have to get a flex patched to handle Unicode; it
exists, but its not standard. you *can* write an XML parser in flex,
as Richard Goerwitz has demonstrated, but its not trivial.

 > The power of sgmlspl (though not the speed) can match that of any
 > method except possibly when one wants to descend into CDATA segments.

er, nonsense. sgmlspl provides no full access to the document tree, as
DOM or XPATH do. you have to code it yourself, which is a bore.

Sebastian "TEI fan" Rahtz