From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:50:51 +0100
> I am still new to LaTeX, but I cant resist on giving a proposal for a LaTeX
> improvement.
>
> I think that any of the 20 most common graphics formats shall be
> include:able using \includegraphics.
>
> Bitmap as well as vector.
> Using latex as well as using pdflatex.

the problem is, that to first order, this is nothing to do with latex
itself.

latex needs to know the dimensions of the graphic, only.  the rest is
down to the dvi->whatever converter (in the case of latex) or to
pdftex itself (in the case of pdflatex).

further reading: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq, answers about \specials and
the graphics section.