From:
Martin Hensel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:15:55 +0100
[posted in comp.text.tex:]

Hi group!

Some months ago, I thought about things that I could do to contribute
to the LaTeX3 project.

I decided to optimize the LaTeX user syntax with ergonomics/usability
in mind.

I am aware of the fact that this idea may be controversial. Honestly,
I'm not in the mood for defending the idea here that a new user syntax
is needed. But I think I have to write at least some lines:
  I know that heavy usage, supporting programs and the fear to learn
  something new allows some people not to see the need of changes.
  But when you look at a LaTeX introductions or questions
  of newbies, much time is needed to explain the syntax (e.g. spaces
  after commands, different ways of passing parameters like {}, [],
  10pt, keyval etc.). My approach was not to develop something
  completely new, but to improve the current syntax in order to
  make it more uniform and therefore easier to learn (and to parse,
  if this may be an argument for some programmers).
For those who are against a new syntax: LaTeX3 will be able to support
multiple user synatxes, so my suggestion is no replacement.

I would like to invite people who want to discuss my suggestion to
join the LaTeX project discussion list.

* You can join this list, which is intended solely for discussing
* ideas and concepts for future versions of LaTeX, by sending mail
* to [log in to unmask] containing the line
*   SUBSCRIBE LATEX-L Your Name

I will post the document there in the next couple of days.

Martin