"Bernard GAULLE (CNRS/IDRIS - France) <[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:48:57 +0100
>i nevertheless begin to wonder if we should change the default font encoding
>from OT1 to T1

Against!
The pb is not that one. I mean that people don't wish not to type in
the font encoding they want (eg someone else said to them... because
that font encoding has absolutely no meaning for them) but wish to be
able to type in the fonts they want to use (and hope LaTeX would be
able to know the font encoding to apply).

  Chosing default T1 is a switch to a default font set which is
unappropriate (unuseful, less beautiful, non TeX default, non free
Postscript or True Type, ...) for a great part of the world.

  --bg