From:
"Y&Y, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 07:57:42 -0500
At 12:16 1998-12-02 +0100, Hans Aberg wrote:

>At 09:57 +0000 1998/12/02, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>>Mark Steinberger writes:

>> > The AMS has done one important thing that seems counter to the
>> > interests of its publishing arm: bringing the postscript type 1 CM and
>> > AMS fonts into the public domain.

>>I don't think they are in the public domain, if I may quibble :-}

>I recall they are: BlueSky (who sells the MacOS TeX program Textures)
>originally developed these commercially, as AMS felt they did could not
>afford that.

I am not sure whether AMS even considered it at the time (1988-1992).
It was not the `next obvious thing to do'.  In fact, while it may be hard to
imagine now, there was a lot of resistance to PS, and even more
resistance to Type 1 fonts.

To be more precise, from http://www.ams.org/index/tex/type1-cm-fonts.html

Y&Y, Inc.  mailto:[log in to unmask]  http://www.YandY.com