Sender:
From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:02:21 +0000
 > Ok, I'll try, but will mass users be able to use them?
the mass users use Microsoft software. Internet Explorer 5 renders XML
natively

 > Are splendid quality
 > free renderers available for poor students using Linux?
yes, of course. the renderer is TeX!

 > I think TeX society should not go under indirect supervision
 > of ISO, W3C, etc. because there will come some time that one considers
 > charging
oh come! dont be *too* paranoid. if we have to pay a license fee to use
ISO standards, the world will have become *very* odd...

 > Aha! I understood it. But why are you trying to convert LaTeX to another
 > engine?
I am not. I want TeX to run TeX code.

 > Why not doing this kind of work with TeX himself (!), and have
 > smaller load and more speed?
TeX? small and fast? you are joking, right?

 > Also, I want to ask, ``Exactly how do you want your computer to do the
 > writing for you?''
i dont want it to write, i want it to take
<client id='foo'>stuff</client> and
turn it into typeset pages, with the instruction that the contents of
<client> should be represented as a list item object

 > that. The real point is that I want my input to be as readable as possible,
 > and also, as portable as possible. You can't imagine, an end user really
the text may be *stored* as <texttt>ggg</texttt>, that does not follow
that your editor will show exactly that.

you are from Iran - do you want to type Farsi (excuse me if
wrong) in ASCII encoding for the rest of your life?  or type on your
local keyboard and see the glyphs on the screen? [1]

 > I, as a TeX programmer, also want the programming interface, more
 > powerful and easier, and considering experimental L3PL, I am very hopeful.

oh sure, agreed on that, writing style files will be better. but who
wants to write different style files for every renderer....

sebastian

[1] ok so you probably use a latin alphabet :-} but you see what i mean