Sender:
From:
David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 16:13:01 +0100
>  Further fonts (without symbols, but purely MA encoded) can
> provide math text italic, math sans serif and math typewriter on demand.

but that I think is the difficulty. Every text font that may possibly
be used in math would have to be re-encoded, and the only benefit of
this would come if the re-encoded font really had the uppercase Greek
rather than empty slots. Except in the case of cm it is not clear
where such matching Greek will come from.

I think that being able to use text fonts (with the current text
encoding, be it T1 or OT1 or 8r or LY1 or...) in math as \mathsf
\mathit etc is a good thing to aim for. Thus I would like to
aim for that first, and investigate possibilities for accessing
uppercase (and lowercase) Greek in different styles within that
framework as a `first attempt'. An encoding that mixes Greek and Roman
in the same font is likely only to ever be used by cm and in that case
there is not so much to be gained by having a `standard' math
encoding as all non cm math setups would necessarily use a non
standard encoding.

David