Sender:
From:
"Y&Y, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:28:04 -0500
At 10:14 1998-12-11 +0000, you wrote:

>Speaking as a user, and knowing what is needed in my world
>(author-prepared manuscripts for conference proceedings, journals,
>making posters, overheads etc), what is needed which is not in the
>`core' is psfrag, natbib, custom-bib.  Also, authors often need to

Leave out psfrag, and all PS-only hacks, and TeX-only graphics methods.
Best to use standard tools for creating EPS or TIFF files (for ` vector
graphics' and images respectively).

>`\usepackage{times}'.  Whether or not that has the desired effect
>depends on how the fonts are set up etc.  So perhaps some set of core
>font installation would be needed as well.

I think these days TeX systems come (or should come) with the required
style and *.fd and *.tfm files to support non-CM fonts.  Witness teTeX and
OzTeX which now include support for MathTime and LucidaBright, dramatically
simplifying installation and use.  See http://www.yandy.com/support.htm#texfonts

Regards, Berthold.

Y&Y, Inc.  mailto:[log in to unmask]  http://www.YandY.com