Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:55:49 +0200
There a two ways to combine quotes and punctuation:
    He said ``foo'', she replied ``bar,'' and so on.
The foo version has the comma logically positioned, but the bar version is
in fact the more common in typesetting (at least in the US): It seems that
this later illogical version is dictated by kerning problems with the
logical variation when typesetting using led (even though I do not know
this for sure).

  But TeX should be able to handle such problems (correct?): Looking up the
character pairs  ''  and ,  and then finding the correct kerning,
regardless of their order.

  But does LaTeX have any opinions on this? It seems me that the correct
way to type a manuscript would be (from the logical point of view)
    He said \quote{foo}, she replied \quote{bar}, and so on.
Then LaTeX uses a lookup in the current typesetting style (logical,
illogical, UK English, US English, etc) to determine if the quotes should
be single or double and the preferred style of nesting and so on.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>