From:
Lars Madsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2014 16:25:54 +0000
@Marcin

I think everyone doing LaTeX editing (of other peoples work) have seen this, and it makes us so depressed.

I think some of it is a generation thing, it is often `older' users who have never been told how to do things right.

The other group is those `who think they know better' -- no you do not!

Sadly I had a student coming by my office last week using constructions like this

\begin{framed}
\begin{theorem}
\textnormal{\\
.....} asymptotic limit \textnormal{.....}
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
\textnormal{....}
\end{theorem}
\end{framed}

just because they never thought about how one could configure theorems and even make them framed.

It is really depressing seeing stuff like this.

I have no idea how we should educate these people.

@Marcin, at your journal, do you tell the authors not to use these constructions?

At my department we have a few preprint series, and I actually do copyediting of these to make them look ok, and send a report back to the authors with a list of `please do not do this again'.

/Lars Madsen
Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University