From:
"Y&Y, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:40:49 -0500
At 12:58 1998-11-24 +0100, Marcel Oliver wrote:

>>  > XML/MathML may make sense for me in certain circumstances, because I
>>  > may want to reuse the logical structure, I don't see why this should
>>  > matter for a publisher whose job it is to get the thing on paper, and
>>  > possibly into an online repository (PDF?).
>> publishers who do not want to consider electronic publication of
>> material are, IMHO, on the track to failure. publishers exist to sell
>> your work, NOT get things on paper!!!

>But paper is the only thing you can do better than I can.  I can run
>a web-site with no problem and publish my stuff in whatever format I
>like.
>The only thing I cannot do is printing large quantities of paper
>and shipping them to every library in the world.

No.  You can't review articles.  You can't provide easy searching and access
to all articles in an area.  Etc. There *is* a role for publishers to play.  Of course
it is true that there have always been `self publishers'.  But most people
have better things to do with their time.

Regards, Berthold.

Y&Y, Inc.  mailto:[log in to unmask]  http://www.YandY.com