From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:14:25 +0000
William F. Hammond writes:
 > This could as well be:
 >
 > \documenttype{article}
which is not valid XML, so whats the point?

 > If I run this markup through my elisp, I get the following sgml:
but i want the *source* be to useable, not a result munged by  some
script!!!

 > <!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "gellmu.dtd"><article><preamble>
 > <title></title> <cs0/
 > </preamble><body>
 > <section>Introduction</section>
 > <parb>
 > This is <emph>fun</emph>
 > </article>
not valid XML either :-}

 > The main idea is that this type of markup is amenable to robust
 > processing toward *any* target once an sgml processor for that target
but it goes through you (inevitably flaky) elisp. thats the flaw.

if you *started* with valid *ML markup, wouldnt it be even easier?

 > Note that this approach is different from that of James Clark's "jade"
 > which "centralizes" style for all "backends" using a DSSSL stylesheet
please don't blame James Clark in person for the fundamental concepts
of DSSSL, an ISO standard developed after a decade of work...

Sebastian