Sender:
From:
Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 12:25:03 +0100
Marcel Oliver writes:

 > What I would really like to see at the user level is the possibility
 > of relative sectioning commands.

having read this far i thought that you meant something like this:

   \begin{head}{Main heading}

      text text text

      \begin{head}{Sub heading}
        text text
      \end{head}
      \begin{head}{Another sub heading}
        text text
      \end{head}
   \end{head}

etc.

something like this would be easy to provide, eg you simply would do something
like this:

   \newcounter{headlevel}
   \DeclareDocumentEnvironment{head} { s o m } % or whatever you parse here
     { \stepcounter{headlevel}
       \UseInstance{heading}{\Alph{headlevel}-head} ...
     }
     { \addtocounter{headlevel}{-1} }

which means that for each level one would need to define an instance with the
name A-head, B-head, ...

however, this would not solve:

 > One requirement should be that one
 > can mix absolute and relative sectioning in a natural way.  To explain

but to be honnest i don't think that a concept of mixing absolute names with
relative names via a label/ref mechanism is really helpful.

 >   \section{AAA} \label{aaa}
 >   \section[aaa]{BBB}
 >   \subsection{CCC}
 >   \section{DDD}

I agree that it is a bit of a pain to change a heading tree in a LaTeX
document at the moment but something like the above seems to mak a document
completely uncomprehensible (if used on a larger scale). So in my opinion it
is better to either accept that changing  the names is necessary if one
changes the structure or to use a real relative naming scheme (as outlined
above) in the first place. --- or perhaps i'm just getting too old for
revolutionary changes?

anybody else having some views on this?