From:
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 12:53:00 +0200
Reinhard Kotucha writes:

 >     >> usually 10% to 60% of \textheight.
 >
 >     > ie too large to go in top, too small to make a float page on
 >     > their own, ideal material for taking to the end of the document,
 >     > given the default latex parameter settings!
 >
 > It certainly would help a little bit if the output routine would be
 > more verbose.  FMi now worked on the output routine and told us at the
 > DANTE meeting that the float placing algorithm works much better than
 > people think.
 >
 > But in fact it is a black box.  It is hard to find out why a float is
 > not placed.  It doesn't provide any information *why* a float is
 > deferred, and which variable I have to change.

it is hard to find out in current LaTeX that is true. the new algorithm goes a
long way in trying to be more friendly in this respect.

but it is equally hard to provide the right amount of information.
right new the new algorithm explains for each float area tried why it failed
or succeeded, e.g.

Float: \bx@B   {figure}  {1.2}   {This is a figure caption for (1)}
 area trial: t31  -> failed: span count t31 /= 1
 area trial: t21  -> failed: span count t21 /= 1
 area trial: t22  -> failed: span count t22 /= 1
 area trial: t23  -> failed: span count t23 /= 1
 area trial: t11  -> failed: area closed for type figure
 area trial: b11  -> failed: area closed for type figure
 area trial: t12  -> accepted

that may or may not be sufficient --- one has to see.

 > BTW., writing such information to the log file could encourage people
 > to read log files.  I hope.  I'm not sure they do.

i'm not sure that this should go to the log all the time.