Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 02:48:45 +0200
>I mentioned wrapping to 72 characters in the previous thread, which I
>started and which is indicated by the change in title.  Line length in
>the files of the LaTeX distribution (which also shouldn't be too long)
>wasn't MY original topic at all.

  There are two topic discussed here, the file distribution limit, and the
LaTeX in emails: I think they have been somewhat interrelated in the past,
because people would submit LaTeX code in emails, which then could be
corrupted along the way. The best way to avoid that is to use the new
encoding schemes MIME and file attachments, which are designed so such
corruption should not happen.

  Phillip Helbig mentions the email problem specifically when reading
quotes in email: Even though it is possible to avoid it hard wrapping of
email text, most emailers do it, because there may be email readers that
cannot handle it well otherwise.

  But it is not necessary to do it: With styled text, quotes are enclosed
with an environment <excerpt>... </excerpt>, in my email reader displayed
with a bar at the left hand side of the quote. So quotes can be formatted
and quoted as many times as you please. And emailers that can read such
email are for free, at least on Mac's and PC's, so there is not much reason
to not upgrade. (I mean, if there are advanced, expensive computers that
cannot do the simple things that all the inexpensive computers can do, why
should we all others bother?)

  Hans Aberg
                  * AMS member: Listing <http://www.ams.org/cml/>
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>