From:
David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 00:09:23 +0100
        Bjoern Pedersen <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I have now succesfully used xor for producing 3-column output with
> book.cls. Attached you will find my changes/additions to the current xor.
>
>  * fixed horizontal float placement for starting column >1
>
>  * added hooks for header/footer
>
>  * added compatibility for old marks
>
>  * added \totalwidth for correct header/footer sizing
>
>  * added \floatwidth for float scaling
>
> I will probably do some more refinement on the header/footer stuff, but
> would appreciate some input on the interface design first.

I am currently taking a look at the stuff in order to incorporate it.
Of course, while you are perfectly obedient to the wording of the
licence by renaming everything to xor-bp and the like, it would have
been probably somewhat easier if you chose the same filenames just for
the patch (though obviously not for other circulation).  I trust that
posting patches here does not count as distribution prohibited
according to the terms of the licence, but if it does, I certainly
will get corrected within few days at most, and little harm will be
done.

Ok, to start off, here is the first patch:

484c484,490
<     {\pagebodylefthpos - \columndisplacement + \columndisplacement * #3}
---
>     {\pagebodylefthpos - \columndisplacement + \columndisplacement * #3 +
>        }
> %%Change BP
>     \ifnum #3 > 1
>       \addtolength\@tempdima{0.5\columnsep}
>       \fi
> %% End change

The first two lines look fishy, like you decided to put the added
dimension inside of the \setlength and then decided against it
without fixing the original change completely.

I am combing through here a bit, but it would probably be more
convenient if you
a) used the original file names just for the sake of discussing the
   patches
b) crosschecked that everything looks to be in working order.