Sender:
From:
Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:24:02 +0100
Timothy Murphy wrote --
> On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 01:04:32PM +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>
> > when i joined this company, I worked in TeX support, in a religious
> > way; 4 years later, its plain as the nose on your face that TeX _as
> > author/editor interface_ has lost the battle for market dominance. the
> > Good Guys do not always win, historically [1]
>
> But surely not in the mathematical arena?

Where there is at present no "market".

As Tim said, some people's reality right now is that there is barely
time to breath between writing/editing/reading books in TeX/LaTeX
(this does, here, not include Elsevier books as we cannot afford
them ... maybe something to do with their understanding of
"the market"?:-).

How long this will continue for, I have no idea; but so far Don's and
Leslie's predictions of "something ebetter in 10 years" certainly have
not been reflected any reality whatsoever.

chris