Bruno Le Floch <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:49:58 -0500
On 03/09/2017 05:42 PM, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
> Two functions which I think could be beneficially added to l3fp without
> straining its role as a kernel module (in the way that, say, the gamma
> function would) are the signature function (sgn) and a unit step
> function (Heaviside? -- the difficulty is what value to assign at 0).
> Given the numerical values assigned to true and false in l3fp, it is
> easy to mimic these with simple inequalities (e.g. (#1 > 0) - (#1 < 0)
> for sgn) but perhaps the functions should be there in the first place?
>
> I found myself wanting these when considering a table of fp values where
> it made sense to blank cells containing negative values which "got in
> the way". The code creating the table contained the option of blanking
> zero-value cells, so I multiplied the tabulated formula by 1 - (#1 < 0).
>
> Andrew
>
> ---

Will copied your message to https://github.com/latex3/latex3/issues/346
and replied there that

> sign() or sgn() definitely makes sense to me, but I’m not sure about
> step() / heaviside() / whatever. Can you give another example for the
> use case there?

I'm adding sign().  I don't think heaviside is needed: (#1) > 0 ? (#1) :
0 seems to do what you want pretty nicely.

What do you think?

Concerning Gamma, the main reason I haven't implemented it yet is that
it requires determining some magic constants that were only given to me
for a lower precision than what I need (10 digits instead of 16).

Bruno