From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 12:25:02 +0200
At 10.19 +0200 2005-05-10, Achim Blumensath wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I agree that FD files should only contain font definitions. But for
>complex font families it can be quite cumbersome and error prone to
>write several dozens of FD files manually.

Who said FD files should be written manually? The base LaTeX FDs are
generated by docstrip, and the PSNFSS FD files are generated by fontinst,
to name two available tools. (Fontinst has no support for extra data,
though. At least not yet...)

>Since the font definitions of
>the MinionPro project are very regular we have created macros to
>generate them. So each FD file just consists of two lines. E.g.,:
>
>  \input{MinionPro-FontDef.sty}
>  \Mn@DeclareLargeFontFamily{T1}{MinionPro-OsF}{osf}{t1}
>
>But these macros rely on the keyval package which currently is included
>in a rather hackish way.

Keyval??? Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if it would turn out to be
easier to do -- whatever it is you do -- directly in terms of TeX
primitives.

Lars Hellström