Sender:
From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:29:02 +0100
 > and so on... I respect the work done by the NTS group, as
 > well as the LaTeX group, and the Omega guys. All these groups

so do i, enormously.

 > they go and move and this is terribly unpolite to reduce
 > their work to an amusing task without interest. No !

i am sorry if i at least seemed unpolite. i hope that all the parties
concerned know both Frank and myself in person, and know that the
intention is not to ridicule their work

 > I support definitely all that work, they go each one in a good
 > direction, that's all we need. Another time, in a better life,
 > we'll see the convergent point, as we discover now that
 >   Please accept each other and don't fight like this, it's
 > absolutely stupid and unproductive.

i am all in favour of not fighting, indeed! equally, if people choose
to put their work in front of the public, they should be prepared to
be told what others think, no? i am sure that Phil, for instance,
would be the first to agree that what e-TeX needs very much is use and
criticism of their work.

and I do think we have to be realistic. while TeX is flourishing in
many areas, it is clearly in a decline in others, and its `market
share' has decreased from its high point of (when? 1990?). can any of
you in Europe or America point to a _growth_ in TeX?[1]

Sebastian

[1] I exclude eastern Europe, Russia, far east, what have you, because
they are so badly served by M'soft, and TeX is doing good work