Sender:
From:
William F Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:31:34 -0400
Martin Hensel <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> My decision was made mainly in three steps. The first two are mainly
> concerned with better visual perception, the last one with the
> writer's and reader's memory.
>
> 1. Commands should enclosed in brackets.
. . .
> 2. Command parameters are included in the command enclosure.
. . .
> 3. The combined position and named parameters
. . .

The issues underlying these points have been addressed in the GELLMU
Project: http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/gellmu/ .  More to the point,
the syntactic translator enforces syntax, and SGML/XML validation
enforces the correctness of both markup vocabulary and document
structure.

That said, I would not propose to change the syntax of LaTeX itself
unless it might be in conjunction with the introduction in LaTeX of
\documenttype parallel to \documentclass.

I would also like to point out that Texinfo, the elderly language of
the GNU Documentation System, has a rigid syntax that may be
considered, apart from notation, responsive to the issues in
"syntax.pdf".  Note that "sgmltexi" is an SGML model for Texinfo.
And please note that LaTeX, not Texinfo, is a backend for GELLMU
though Texinfo could be a backend, too.

                                    -- Bill