Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:35:55 -0500
From:
William F Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Barbara,

You write:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2014, William F Hammond wrote:
>
>     [...]
>
>     In the new track with its pertinent user-level diagnostics one could have
>     the LaTeX program print a diagnostic and then exit, forcing the user to
>     correct the problem, one problem at a time.
>
> sadly, this would discourage me, and
> probably anyone else involved in a
> production setting, from using the
> new track if it is set up unalterably
> this way.  it's often possible to make
> temporary adjustments and proceed through
> an entire file, accumulating all errors
> and warnings to be handled in a single
> manual pass.  not always, but often enough
> that it's worth the effort to make an
> on-the-spot decision whether to cancel
> or proceed.
> 						-- bb

A major point in using the new track would be that any
errors have been removed by the author (using the new track
in his/her shop) before any distribution of source.

Either the author prepares a new track document or a
classical document.  A production manager should act
accordingly.  If it is new track and does not pass the
validation layer, return it to the author.  If it is
classical, there should be no change in procedure.

That said, I suppose as an alternative to what I previously
said there could be a menu instead of an abrupt exit.
Something like:

<return>  show next error
+         show next 5 errors
X         exit
Q         drop to classical mode and go to batch mode
E         edit

Where strict validation is in force, a single mistake, like
a missing brace or a missing end-quote, in a source instance
sometimes will trigger many parsing error messages.  In that
environment it is best to fix errors one at a time in
sequential order.

Best,

                                    -- Bill