From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 13:14:15 +0200
At 21:06 +0200 2001/08/31, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> > Omega is definetely a step forward, but at the same time pdfTeX is a step
> > forward. So I believe that the Omega team must consider incorporate
> > the ability to generate PDF files in future releases of the system.
>
>people are in disagreement about this. it is certainly true that it is a major
>step forward now, but can it stay ahead or is the pdf quality it is producing
>declining after a while?

How could the decline? I see how it could outdate, but decline?

Another way to go might be to extend the DVI format, or make an entirely
new one. There are some other formats around, like VCG for displaying
graphics,
  http://rw4.cs.uni-sb.de/users/sander/html/gsvcg1.html
which showed up in Bison now, but one cannot produce PDF/PS/DVI from it, as
there are no converters written. So there appears to be some need of
producing an independent format.

>(the german saying "is too many cooks will spoil
>the porridge")

(or "many cooks bring about a strong union")

>but i'm far more worried about the needed support afterwards if you want it to
>be stable and used by millions --- TeX has that sort of for free as it is
>virtually bug free but that will not be true for an Omega successor

The problem is that things change so quickly nowadays, so even if the
programs are bug-free they outdate.

  Hans Aberg