Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 11:49:03 +0930
From: Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all,

> On 7 May 2018, at 1:55 am, Simon Spiegel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> People who need fields like URL or DOI in their work, have long ago either chosen .bst styles which support them or changed to BibTeX replacements like biber/biblatex.

I agree, I think the world has moved on. Having said that, I don’t like to discourage development. I’d suggest the formatting is added to the legacy bst files with something like:

    \providecommand\bibtexurl[1]{}
    \providecommand\bibtexdoi[1]{}

so anyone who wishes to activate the new feature can simply write

    \let\bibtexurl\url
    \let\bibtexdoi\url

(or whatever.) Most so there is no problem breaking old documents. (The bibliography is something that can be very space-critical!)

> I doubt that they would alter their behaviour because of changes to BibTeX.

Also agreed. BibTeX files from publishers are barely compliant but generally will contain MORE information than I need, not less. URL and DOI are usually both there already in the engineering/science sources I use.

Regards,
Will