From:
Paul Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:37:33 -0800
One lack of LaTeX and friends that I have NEVER understood is that there are no character-manipulation tools.

In many languages, there are a large number of such tools.

substr - get part of a string
scan - break string into pieces by several markers (usually can specify)
index - determine if string has substring

and there are 20-30 more too

Admittedly this goes toward making LaTeX more of a programming language, but it is a thought of something missing.

 Paul A. Thompson

Division of Biostatistics
St Louis, MO 63108
314-747-3793