Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:11:02 +0100
William F. Hammond writes:
> If one wants to keep distinctions between "\phi" and "\Phi", i.e., if
> one likes the idea of a case-sensitive flexible command name space on
> authoring platforms, then one might not want to dismiss SGML in favor
> of XML for use on authoring platforms and in publishing houses.XML

For those that do not already know, it's only HTML that is case
insensitive. HTML must first be converted in order to be accepted by the
more rigid XML syntax. For details on this, and other such general
questions, see the XML FAQ
    <http://www.ucc.ie/xml>

Sebastian Rahtz writes:
>ie, the vast majority of material

My guess is that the different electronic media will be increasingly
integrated, until it finally will be difficult to define the borders
between the different media. The WWW browsers will not have HTML quality in
display, but PDF quality, in addition to the other multimedia capacities
that printing on paper odes not have, ability to display sound and moving
graphics, 3D images and so on.

I think this will affect also scientific publishing: A lot of scientific
results can be better presented using multimedia. Even in pure math, one
can think of so called commutative diagrams to have a 3D (or higher D)
representation by which the reader chooses a suitable 2D projection (unless
a 3D screen is used).

So as the electronic media is improving, it will be increasingly preferred
over the paper media, in all fields.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>