Sender:
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:42:54 -0500
From:
peter wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> I do want to try my hand on setting up some templates for headings and for
> that the first step is to define a suitable
>
>   \DeclareObjecttype{headings}{?}
>
> The initial question here is what are the arguments this object type should
> carry? for that I hope some of you can help with some thoughts.
>
> Note that each of the mandatory arguments could well be receiving \NoValue
> from the outside and or disregard the argument altogether in most document
> classes. So we do have somepossibilities and we need to weight them as whether
> something is too esoteric or okay to be made part of the standard even if,
> say, it will only get used in 10% of the cases.
>
> Here is my current list of candiates:
>
>   - title of the heading
>   - title version to go in the TOC
>   - title version to go in the running header
>   - subtitle of the heading (e.g., an author name, copyright notice ...)
>   - motto/quote text to display alongside the heading title
>   - flag to number heading
>
> do we need a way to specify that something is send to the TOC or to the
> running header and if so how do we do that?
>
> what else is missing or which of the above aren't sensible in the first place?

<snip>

     In the memoir class (all LaTeX2e syntax) I have:
o Book and Part divisions, plus user commands for creating new part-like
title pages. There are hooks for adding book/part titles to running
heads. (The Book division was at the request of a French user who needed
a level above Part, which I understand to be not atypical in French books).

o For \chapter through \subparagraph two optional args for ToC and
running header and the mandatory text title.

o For \chapter* an optional arg for running head. No number and no ToC
entry.

o For \section* through \subparagraph* just required arg. No number and
no ToC or running head.

o A \chapterprecis{<text>} for a synopsis of a chapter which will also
go into the ToC. Or you can have a synopsis, just in the text, just in
the ToC, or different ones in each. (This has also been used for author
information instead). In the ToC a synopsis or author entry needs its
own kind of formatting.

o An \epigraph{<text>}{<source>} command which can be used anywhere.
Typically at the start of a chapter (before or after the title).
Remember that the TeXbook has epigraphs at the end of chapters.

o Separately, declarations to switch off/on numbering of unstarred
\chapter...\subparagraphs.

      Given the above, which has seemed to cover authors needs, I
suggest that any equivalents of \chapterprecis and \epigraph be kept
separate from the title and numbering controls for the divisions. They
are used rarely and would only clutter a heading specification. BTW I
have seen author information placed at the end of a section/chapter
rather than with the title.

     Thinking about author information there could be quite a lot of it:
Authors names, affiliations, where and when originally published,
permission to reproduce, ...

Peter W.