From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:46:12 +0100
At 23.34 +0100 2001-01-29, William F. Hammond wrote:
>Frank --
>
>I don't know if you are aware of some private correspondence that I've
>had with others.  But most who read this list were certainly not part
>of it.
>
>I think that switching the default font encoding to T1 is probably a
>good thing to do.
>
>I hope then that by default there are supported names like
>\textgreater \textasciitilde, etc. for all 33 non-alphanumeric
>printable ascii characters including 0x20 that work properly in
>various LaTeX contexts.

But those are already working regardless of whether you use T1 or OT1, the
difference is only that when you use OT1 the \textgreater is taken from
OML. Most likely there are characters in latin1 which are provided by TS1
rather than T1, so there's no fundamental difference.

>In the general context of formatting from XML to LaTeX source, though
>not so much in my specific context, nor in the context of authors coming
>from a LaTeX or TeX background, I am concerned about what happens with
>8 bit characters in the range 0xA0 - 0xFF from the various ISO 8 bit
>character sets.

Those should be converted to "LaTeX internal representation" (i.e.
\textgreater and friends) by your XML-to-LaTeX converter. The inputenc
package only exists for the convenience of humans, not automatic
converters, which should instead produce documents that use visible 7-bit
ASCII throughout.

Lars Hellström