From:
Bruno Le Floch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:21:37 -0500
On 1/11/12, Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Am 11.01.2012 22:16, schrieb Joseph Wright:
>> On 31/12/2011 23:09, Joseph Wright wrote:
>>>   1) How should we refer to catcode in documentation, both in terms of
>>>      the text and the formatting (for example, do we want to say
>>>      something line 'category code<other>')?
>>
>> Unless I hear that there are strong objections, I propose to make a
>> change here as I indicate above, using the name of each category code as
>> described in the naming of \char_set_catcode_... and using formatting
>>
>>    category code \meta{<description>}~(<code>)
>
> well, I'm not sure I parse this line. To me "code" implies more a number
> than something like "other". I'm fine with statements like "character
> category <other>" but less so with "category code <other>"
>
> or is the above to read as
>
>      category code \meta{other} (12)
>
>>>   2) What should we do for \char_show_value_catcode:n? 'show_value' is
>>>      not the right name for showing a symbolic meaning. I guess we just
>>>      use \prg_case_int:nnn to actually show the meaning.
>
> if you want to go for symbolic then you could have
>
>    \char_show_category:n {x}         -> <letter>
>
> and drop "code" from the cs name

I like the idea, and I'd go further:

  \char_show_category:N x
  > letter (11).
  \char_show_lowercase:N X
  > x (120).
  \char_show_uppercase:N *
  > * (0, unchanged).
  \char_show_space_factor:N .
  > punctuation (3000).
  \char_show_math_code:N \*
  > "8000 (active).
  \char_show_math_code:N \X
  > "7158.

Ok, for math code and sfcode, this is probably too crazy. An
alternative would be to show all the relevant info at once:

  \lccode`\~=`A
  \char_show:N \~

  > category => active (13)
  > lower case => A (65)
  > upper case => ~ (0, unchanged)
  > space factor => normal (1000)
  > math code => "007E
  > delimiter code => not a delimiter.

Perhaps removing the fields that are equal to the default value, e.g.,
here "upper case", "space factor" and "delimiter code".

I note that we have no wrapper for delcode.

Regards,
Bruno