Sender:
From:
Ulrik Vieth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 11:30:23 +0200
Hans Aberg:

>   But if you decide to typeset tensors upright sans serif, then the
> Christoffel symbol, which normally is an upper case $\Gamma$, should be
> typeset like that too. (But using a $\Gamma$ for the Christoffel symbol is
> so standard, it should perhaps be typeset upright anyhow.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  If you are refering to a specific
Christoffel symbol $\Gamma_{ij}^{k}$, you're dealing with a scalar
compnent of a pseudo-tensor, which means that the $\Gamma$ would be
set in \mathnormal anyway (whether upright or italics might depend
on the publisher's preferences for uppercase greek).

Bold sans serif (oblique) would only be used when referring to
a tensor as a whole, e.g. when writing about the metric tensor
$\mathtens{g} = (g_{ij})$.  Writing $\mathtens{\Gamma}$ to refer
to all the Christoffel symbols as a whole would be very unusual
indeed, so there's probably little reason to worry.

Cheers, Ulrik.