Sender:
From:
Daniel Arteaga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:25:17 +0200
The creation of a new LaTeX class requires a deep knowledge of TeX and
LaTeX, and cannot be easily done by a "normal" user. There are not a lot
of general purpose alternatives, and most of the people continues using
standard LaTeX classes (specially article). However, many times standard
classes are not completely satisfactory, and it is a usual practice to
manually adapt titles, margins, spacings, headings, etc. in a not always
optimum way. In most cases, the best would be to have a new adapted
LaTeX class.

Let me say that personally I don't find very nice standard classes, and
I think that some aspects, such as title pages, are a bit rudimentary.

The situation is somewhat similar in BibTeX: standard styles are are not
always completely satisfactory. But, fortunately, in this case it is
possible to easily create adapted styles with the custombib package,
without knowing  the BiBTeX style programming language.

I wondered whether it could exist some similar utility for LaTeX
classes, a package/program/utility that generates a new class from a
list of questions, or from some other "user friendly" environment. Is
there any plan to introduce this, or something similar, in the LaTeX3
future realse? Or perhaps it could be implemented as a package for
LaTeX2e...

Thank you very much for your attention,

Daniel Arteaga