Uwe Lueck <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:33:00 +0100
"Reinhard Kotucha" <[log in to unmask]>, 30.12.2010 02:39:15:
> Please note that I regard LaTeX more as a markup language rather than
> a programming language.  LaTeX has a clear syntax, optional arguments
> are in box brackets, not in curly braces.  I don't see any good reason
> to break LaTeX's syntax rules deliberately.

We have presented examples before where present LaTeX syntax
is not nice, and this still is my opinion.

A better proposal than using different category codes is
programming macros with optional arguments obeying
a convention that makes a choice of delimiters available to users.
Any macro package replacing \@ifnextchar[ by some
\ifx\let@token\opt@arg@delim could be run this way.

If no LaTeXY will adopt this, I will call it LüTeX :-)

Cheers,

    Uwe.