From:
Maarten Gelderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 14:00:07 -6000
>> >%DO WE NEED MORE ARGUMENTS?
>> >\date{received in original form}{received}{accepted}
>> How do you accomodate for the following
>> `Accepted by ...;

>A name goes here?
Yes
>> received ..... This paper has been with the authors ...
>> months for ... revision(s).

>Is this format really used anywhere?
>   Accepted by Joe Smith; received 26
>   June 1996.  This paper has been with the authors 7 months for
>   3 revisions.
Yes, at least Management Science and Information Systems Research use it. The
latter journal also mentions the function of the person accepting the paper
(Editor, Associate Editor etc.) I guess this implies that all journal
published by Informs use a similar format.

A similar problem that might occur can be found in some issues of The
Accounting Review. This journal normally does not indicate the name of the
accepting editor, except for situations in which the editor is someone else
than the editor in charge (usually the previous editor).

All journals of the American Accounting Association have an additional
required footnote: a statement on data availability. Similarly the keywords
part of an abstract, category and subject descriptors, and classifications
may deserve a separate entry.

Another problem might be introduced by acknowledgments. In some journals they
are a footnote to the name of the author, or to the title. Some journals
treat them as a footnote without a footnotemark and other treat them as a
separate section.  Informs (again, but they accept LaTeX submissions and are
highly regarded in the business and operations research community) treats
acknowledgments as a footnote to the last sentence of the article that
appears between this last sentence and the references. To avoid visual
markup, I am afraid \acknowledgments{} should be introduced as well.

(By the way, if this approach really starts to function, I guess it might
convince a lot of people to switch to LaTeX. Adapting manuscripts can be a
really awkful experience (I learn ;-)).

Regards,

Maarten

Maarten Gelderman                            email:  [log in to unmask]
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam                 phone:  +31 20 444 6073
De Boelelaan 1105 room 3a-36                 fax     +31 20 444 6005
NL-1081 HV  AMSTERDAM
The Netherlands