From:
Philipp Stephani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 13:04:13 +0200
Am 18.09.2010 um 12:31 schrieb Heiko Oberdiek:

> My recommendation for package authors that use key value interfaces
> is to provide a \<package>setup command for setting the options
> and getting rid of the option limitations of LaTeX2e.
>
> Also setting options in \usepackage makes problems with option
> clashes more likely, especially if the package is already loaded
> without options.
>
> Another problem is that the option share the same namespace.
> Global options can trigger wanted and unwanted actions in
> different packages, that knows the same option. That's even
> more problematic for key value options, where the packages
> interprete the same keys, but the values with different syntax.

I agree.  I use the following policy for package options, which I believe is defensive enough:

- Avoid options whenever possible.
- If an option is required (e.g. if a package loads another package conditionally), always process it locally using \ProcessLocalKeyvalOptions (kvoptions) or \ProcessKeysPackageOption (l3keys2e).
- Never process global options except "standard" ones like "draft".