From:
Stephan Hennig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:51:29 +0200
Morten Høgholm schrieb:

> \raggedleft as defined in xhj sets leftskip to 0pt plus 2em to allow
> hyphenation as opposed to \raggedleft from the 2e kernel which has
> leftskip 0pt plus 1fil.
>
> Btw you'd get the same effect with \RaggedLeft from ragged2e.

Ah, thanks!  I've never run into that before.

> Hence it is not really useful for single lines of text.

I guess the underlying problem is that \parfillskip can't be applied to
paragraphs set ragged left?  So it doesn't affect single lines only, but
using \RaggedLeft from ragged2e or \raggedleft from LaTeX3 (or is it
LaTeX2e*?) _almost always_ results in an underfull box message.[1]

\documentclass{article}
\input{xinitials.sig}
\begin{document}
\raggedleft
This paragraph is ok:
some text and some text some text and some text
some text and some text some text and some text
some text and some text some
\par
This paragraph is underfull:
some text and some text some text and some text
some text and some text some text and some text
some text
\par
\end{document}

> Underfull \hbox (badness 2582) in paragraph at lines 10--14
>  \OT1/cmr/m/n/10 text some text and some text some text and some text some text

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig

[1]  I don't think it's a fortunate decision to change the meaning of
\raggedright in LaTeX3.  I'll send another mail about that later.