Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 07:47:28 +0100
Ulrich Dirr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Will Robertson wrote:
> > The LaTeX3 project has not really started discuss such high-level aspects
> > of document design, but we've made a start with the "template" mechanism
> > for creating modular document interface elements. If you're interested,
> > take a look at the xtemplate package on CTAN or the LaTeX3 SVN code.
>
> It's o.k. to have some ready-made design like in LaTeX.

the core of latex 3 is designed to *avoid* ready-made design.

in place of it, the system will support an "outer layer" (such as
xtemplate, already mentioned) which will support things "like" document
classes.

> Every time when I'm designing a book I have to fight with low level LaTeX
> because numerous lengths are hidden inside standard class files and even
> latex.ltx. It is killing from a designer's view, e.g., to change all
> measurement to didot points instead of American points. Insofar high-level
> aspects are important for program designers (or how should I call you?) too.
> A programmer designing a typesetting system should be aware of typesetters
> needs.

the fond hope is that the "design layer" will support such enterprise.
you likely have more experience than any of us, but most of us have
experience meeting the requirements of designers (think the latex
companions).

as will said, the template mechanism is designed for exactly that sort
of support.

however, your original question asked for "document classes with body
size xy.pq points, for random p,q,x,y".  you must surely recognise that
this is impractical _without_ much more specification than can be
generated automatically from body size.

robin