Andrew Parsloe <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:10:35 +1300
On 23/01/2017 12:29 a.m., Will Robertson wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> [Joseph beat me to answering but the following might add something to the discussion.]
>
> Thanks for pointing this out — .set:N was (once upon a time) the old name for .tl_set:N. I’ve fixed it up.
> Basically you shouldn’t need to distinguish package options from other keys — it’s all up to how the keys are processed. To be more explicit, let’s say that you did want to distinguish between package option keys and other keys; it would be quite natural to write
>
>   \keys_define:nn { mymodule / pkgoptkeys }
>     { option .tl_set:N = \l_module_variable_tl }
>
>   \keys_define:nn { mymodule / otherkeys }
>     { another-option .tl_set:N = \l_module_another_variable_tl }
>
> Hope this helps,
> Will
>
>> On 22 Jan 2017, at 11:51 am, Andrew Parsloe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> I am confused by the illustration
>>
>> \keys_define:nn { module }
>> { option .set:N = \l_module_variable_tl }
>>
>> in the l3keys2e documentation. I thought, "Ah, this is how you distinguish package options from keys defined within a package", but when I try this it doesn't work. But
>>
>> \keys_define:nn { module }
>> { option .tl_set:N = \l_module_variable_tl }
>>
>> does.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> ---

Thank you both for the replies. In fact your little extra piece of
explanation wouldn't go amiss in the documentation.

More generally, when one is trying to use a package for the first time,
it can be difficult transforming the rather abstract presentation in the
documentation into concrete use. E.g., I have been aware of xtemplate
for some time but only recently, having "discovered" the acro package of
Clemens Niederberger and seeing the clear presentation of an actual use
of xtemplate, does the documentation "make sense". It would be helpful
if the reader of the documentation could be pointed toward paradigmatic
examples of use of packages or modules. (If not in the package
documentation then perhaps in the l3StyleGuide?)

(In fact acro.sty is the most elegantly and clearly presented .sty file
I've met. Unfortunately it isn't picked out by the MiKTeX filter with
any likely keyword for someone looking for expl3 or xtemplate examples.)

Andrew

---