Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:50:31 +0000
Phillip Helbig writes:
 > requirements.  If the plot is involved, i.e. takes half an hour to make
 > it (choose contour levels, label certain features, perhaps highlight a
 > certain region, overlay it with another plot etc) I don't want to have
 > to repeat that just to change the font!
 >
 > What does `high-level system' mean here?

by which i mean, why doesnt the Fortran program have a -font switch?
why all the hand work?

 > > psfrag is great, _if_ you live in a world of one formatter, and one page
 > > description language. Big "if", if you ask me (which you didnt, before
 > > anyone says so)
 >
 > In my world (astronomy), at least for now, LaTeX and PostScript are sort
 > of standard and life is not that difficult.
which is fine, wonderful, great - but sadly astronomy is a minuscule
niche market, and you cannot really expect to world to suit itself to
fit.

 > Maybe I can change the Fortran code to make XML/MathML/SVG an output
 > format option.
almost certainly.

 >  (Now it does PostScript, Sixel graphics, Tektronix
 > graphics etc).
gasp. Tektronix graphics. you take me back 15 years.... :-}

sebastian