From:
Werner Lemberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 08:37:40 +0200
On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

> Because of this, it is possible, for example, to `combine' one
> of european languages (most offten English) and Russian language
> as a *one* `combined' language.

`Combined' may be a solution for Russian but not for, say, Georgian.

> Next, when somebody uses Russian language in his TeX document,
> very offten the other language(s) used in the same document
> will have the codes of it's letters below 128. So,
> why not to allow Babel to change lccodes for Russian
> in this case?

Why not define a proper font encoding and using vf fonts if people are too
lazy to recompile the LH fonts with a proper font encoding?

> IMHO, if we have e.g. a russian-english document, then the results
> will be the same on all TeX systems (because English does not use
> characters with codes above 128). The strange results
> in this case will be if one will use some third language which
> also significantly uses the high half of ASCII table...

this third language must of course also follow the default \lccode and
\uccode values in the ASCII range. As long you don't have more than 256
characters in your alphabet (including punctuation marks) this IS
POSSIBLE!

[BTW, there is no `high half' of ASCII! ASCII is a 7bit encoding...]

> BTW, I'm now trying to improve support of russian LCY encoding
> in babel. The variant with using \babel@savevariable
> inside of \addto\extrasrussian to save all lccode, uccode, sfcode
> and mathcode values for all 66 russian letters (33 upper case+ 33 lower case)
> works, but very slow. I have a significant delays on my P100
> when I use this variant. It is strange. because if I simply
> define these lccode, uccode, sfcode and mathcode values
> just after \usepackage{babel} (which is wrong because it
> defines these registers globally and without a proper restoration),
> this works very quickly.

I've complete font encoding support for LH encoding with the `fil' option
at home. But I have decided not to publish them because of the problems
with other Cyrillic languages. I want to change my own code to T2.

    Werner