Sender:
From:
Boris Veytsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:24:55 -0400
 Phillip Helbig writes:
>  > Should one break the author's name up into initials and surnames, so
>  > that the order could be different in the main title and the running head
>  > and/or different than the order in which the author would have put them
>  > you mean the running head might say "Einstein, A"? all i can say is
>  > that i have not been ever asked  to do it...
>  >
> What about just the last names (no initials) in the running head?
> Or should there be ONE command for the running head?  This might prove
> to inflexible, since some will want all author names, some et al. and so
> on.

Maybe BibTeX-like syntax will work, i.e. something like \author{Albert
Einstein} and \author{Einstein, Albert} would produce same output
determined *only* by house class?  Then house classes could process
\author declarations and extract, if required, both Albert Einstein in
title page and A.~Einstein in the running head?

Actually BibTeX has a very subtle algorithm of dealing with author names;
I think it is possible to reimplement it in TeX for journal styles.

Good luck

-Boris