Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 12:14:00 +0200
>David writes:
>
> > All the files in the latex distribution are checked for the 72
> > character limit as part of the Makefile that makes up the
> > distribution.
>
>Last year I changed it to check for 80 characters per line. I'm not
>going to support mail gateways that cut at 72.

  If the email gateway cuts at 72, then you are out at luck even if you use
MIME, which splits and reassembles lines longer than 76. But I do not think
the mail system should be any concern for the line length in LaTeX anymore,
since you can use MIME, and if you have many files, these could be sent as
an uuencoded .tgz (tar-red and gzip-ped) file attachment, which looks to be
some kind of emerging de facto standard for interplatform distributions.

  If the lines are too long (more than 70-90 characters), then they become
hard to read; this should be the concern.

  Hans Aberg
                  * AMS member: Listing <http://www.ams.org/cml/>
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>