From:
Élie Roux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2014 16:35:36 +0200
David,

There isn't really much of a  hierarchy:-) The time needs to be right
> though and one suspects the time for this is approaching fast. You may have
> noticed inputenc changed slightly in the 2014 release so it detects
> xetex/luatex
> and at least doesn't trash the document (but doesn't do much useful apart
> from
> give a warning or error to give people a hint what to do). That was all we
> could
> do in the texlive 2014 timeframe.

I've seen it yes, and I really thank you for that!

> Your're down as "inactive" in luainputenc  support according to ctan
> catalogue.

I remember a discussion with CTAN people to add "LuaLaTeX maintainers"
(with the mail address [log in to unmask] and a link to
https://github.com/lualatex) as active maintainer of the LuaLaTeX packages,
I don't remember it clearly, but it seems that this wasn't done :)

I've been inactive during a few years, and I can't say I'm 200% active now,
but I'm definitely following all the development of LuaLaTeX... on
[log in to unmask] and as an admin of the https://github.com/lualatex group
which contains the repositories of the main lualatex packages... I'm a bit
late for a few things in luatexbase, but I'm still planning to add them one
day! I'm still active on Gregorio (gregorio.cc) which works only with
LuaLaTeX, and this is one of the main reasons I want things to work fine!

If someone has dropped out of TeX altogether (as happens sometimes) we
> wouldn't
> want to pester them with tex questions, so that meant the situation with
> lualatex support
> wasn't so clear when we were investigating this earlier in the year..

Sure, I understand that! And the mess between luatex.sty and luatexbase is
maybe a bit difficult to understand too... I would like this not to have
happened, but working with Heiko was (and is still) impossible, and things
needed to be done...

>   But if you are still around
> and we do start to incorporate ideas from luainputenc into inputenc, we
> might have some
> code to test later in the year and would be interested in your comments:-)

I'd be really glad to help, yes! Philipp Gesang is more active than I am,
he's maintaining and improving luaotfload, and he's doing really a great
job with it, It would be worth having him in the loop too... Other
historical LuaLaTeX developers (Manuel, Khaled) are not really active
anymore.

Also, something I wanted to say in my previous mail: I think it's time for
a mechanism to handle lua bytecode loading in the format (I'm not in front
of my usual computer and I cannot remember the right words for it). LuaTeX
has a mechanism with an array of such codes, but a package cannot say
something like "I want to have this lua file in the format", it needs to
specify "I want bytecode 0 to be ..." with no idea if bytecode[0] is
already taken or not... (I'm not sure I made myself clear... do you see
what I mean?) Not many packages are using this mechanism (expl3 was the
only one last time I checked), but I'm planning to add something for
Gregorio, so we could work together on that...

Thank you,
--
Elie