From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:28:03 +0000
Marcel Oliver writes:
 > Since you are working for Elsevier, what is your vision for authors'
 > electronic submission of manuscripts?  In your opinion, will LaTeX
 > have a place
as much as it has at present. ie not much....

 >  or would you like to use XML as the exclusive
 > format for submission?  What tools would authors use in that case?
Microsoft Word 2010 :-}

in my personal view, no current authoring tools except LaTeX are of
any real use (except to capture plain text); and unfortunately, LaTeX
is almost totally discredited by the poor usage of its
practitioners. yes yes yes there are millions of great LaTeX users out
there, but what actually hits the system here is almost always
diseased in some way. sorry and all that, but the dull accountants in
suits who run evil empires like Elsevier cannot cope with LaTeX. dont
blame me, I am probably the smallest cog in the machine...

so i am hoping for new authoring tools, based on XML, in the next
millenium. until then i personally will use LaTeX

 > In many mathematical subject areas most of the work really happens
 > before anything is entered into a computer at all.  Therefore,
 > presentation considerations do not (and maybe should not) enter the
 > work until the key ideas have been worked out.
not being a mathematician, i am not sure how to comment on this. i had
just assumed that publishing "logical" math is a Good Thing

 > ones that drive mathematical innovation.  Thus, having data formats
 > which are optimized for presentation, and others which are optimized for
 > machine processing of the logical content is,
i take the point that you need both, that we cannot get rid of
presentation math, because it performs a valuable function. but for
the *default*, low-class, mass-market math, surely you'd agree that
content markup is desirable? surely school textbook math should have
not have \hspace s in?

sebastian