Sender:
From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:35:52 +0100
At 22.20 +0100 2001-02-11, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
>if you want to hear a provocative statement (to get
>some more mail tonight):
>
>  are we sure we want to stay with T1?
>
>I mean, don't we know by now that a number of ideas we had when we came up
>with T1 (ie the Cork encoding) are full of flaws? (yes I was one of the guys
>being part of the group of people deciding on it, so yes i can blame myself
>:-)
>
>should it perhaps be LY1 suitably renamed (or something similar)?

No. Unless you can provide a good argument for why letters and the kind of
symbols which currently reside in TS1 have to appear in the same font there
is no reason for switching to LY1 or something similar to that.

It is another matter though that T1 cannot cover all the European languages
with latin scripts (as I suspect was originally the intention), so for e.g.
Romanian and other languages that need comma accents one would need another
encoding (say T1A). Until someone sits down and creates that however, could
there perhaps be a slot in TS1 assigned to the comma accent (like it
currently is for the \t accent)? It wouldn't be sufficient for hyphenation,
but it would at least make it possible to use the accent in general texts.
(My interest in the matter is that it would be nice to have that put into
ts1.etx before the final fontinst v1.9 is released.)

Lars Hellström