From:
Martin Hensel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:48:34 +0100
> david is right: to make assertions about the way the user interface
> "will be", you need to know whether your proposal is actually
> practicable.  if any part of your proposal is not practicable,
> there's a danger that everything you suggest will be ignored,
> however good _some_ parts of it are.
>
> the fact is, that many people complain about the restrictions that
> tex places on our programming, but no-one is willing to throw out
> the basis of the "programming model" of tex -- rebuilding tex from
> scratch is just too much of a job.
>
> :-(

In the thread about the user interface in de.comp.text.tex Frank
Mittelbach wrote several times that LaTeX3 is able to separate the
different levels of the application. In particular he spoke about a
completely independent user interface layer that enables LaTeX3 to
support several different interfaces.

In fact, Frank states that it would not be much effort to change the
existing LaTeX3 code to adapt it to an improved user interface.
http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=aso61v%24i59%241%40news.online.de

I don't understand how that fits together with your statements that
one would have to change TeX fundamentally in order to be able to have
another interface.

Martin