Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 06:36:42 +0200
From: Heiko Oberdiek <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Hello,

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 03:48:13PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

> Dear Heiko and LaTeX folks,
>
>     I have tried to generate TDS archives that can be unpacked
>     in a texmf tree directly.
>     [...]
>     http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~oberdiek/tmp/latex-tds/index.html
>
> I agree with the general sentiment that this is great, but would it be
> possible for these TDS-compliant archives of the LaTeX trees themselves
> to be on CTAN, somehow?

The intention of "tmp" in the url was to mark this as temporary
solution.
* I have read a posting in comp.text.tex that the CTAN managers
  are currently busy.
* It is also a kind of test phase for detecting bugs and whether
  the sorting the files into the TDS tree structure is ok.
* Is this "redistribution" compliant with LPPL? Is this considered
  as "Compiled Work"? With the exception of inputenc.dtx (fixing
  the bug in order to be able to compile it) the sources are
  unmodified during the generation of the PDF files, however
  special configuration files are used. Would Clause 3 of
  "Conditions on Distribution and Modification" apply?

> And having them on CTAN makes it easier to use them for TL (and other
> distributions, I imagine).

I agree.

> Perhaps, for example,
> macros/latex/base-tds.zip
> macros/latex/required/cyrillic-tds.zip
> macros/latex/required/graphics-tds.zip
> macros/latex/required/tools-tds.zip

This would be a user-friendly solution and could even be
introduced as general scheme. There are package authors who
already provide TDS archives and I intend to do it for my
packages. And it saves disk space because the TDS archive
is not included in the CTAN zip archive, e.g. package foobar:
  CTAN directory:
    macros/latex/contrib/foobar/
  CTAN archive:
    macros/latex/contrib/foobar.zip
  TDS archive:
    macros/latex/contrib/foobar-tds.zip

Back to latex-tds. I think the location above needs the permission
of the LaTeX project team. Without permission perhaps
  macros/latex/contrib/latex-tds/
That would allow me to add a short README (with generation date)
and perhaps the sources for the interested (basically the sources
consist of a perl script and configuration files). Then
  macros/latex/base-tds.zip
could be made symbol links.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <[log in to unmask]>