From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:39:58 +1030
On 21/01/2009, at 9:34 AM, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> yes something like \skipdef has no place anywhere other than in a
> single place
> inside the kernel, where it is used to provide a new register in my
> opinion. I
> mean either we abstract and provide an interface to "skips" etc or
> we don't.
> One of the problems with the TeX language is/was that all such
> levels got
> horribly intermixed, which might have been ok for something like
> plain TeX,
> but produced some level of chaos in any bigger format.
>
> I wouldn't claim that our judgement on what we want to provide
> outside the
> inner part of the kernel is flawless, but with a few exceptions I
> hope we got
> it more or less right.
>
> So right now while we are making the last set of major changes to
> the core
> part of expl3 this is the time to point out any such mistakes or
> omissions,
> please

I'd like to think that there's not much at all missing now, (in terms
of TeX primitives that need wrappers for expl3 -- \skipdef and the
like are clearly not needed in expl3 itself) and I'm sure any last
minute omissions such as \endlinechar will fit into the naming scheme
that currently exists.

Cheers,
Will